1-Day (4+ hour) Workshop Available through June 1, 2022
All Skill Levels Welcome
Start studying now & save!
This workshop is an in-depth study of the Formal Italic Alphabet through demonstration and revealing exercises. We study each of the components of the alphabet – what makes it look the way it does – and use this information to determine how your personal Italic can be improved. We begin with pen angle, structure, branching and shape.
You’ll learn how to fix new, old and “yucky” pens so they become “good” pens. You’ll learn how to make gouache and watercolor flow beautifully through your pen. Become your own teacher and be the “Boss” of your tools.
- Hunt-Bienfang Calligraphic Practice Pad #206 (can get through John Neal, Dick Blick – http://www.dickblick.com/products/bienfang-calligraphy-practice-pad/ OR Amazon – http://www.amazon.com/Bienfang-Inches-Calligraphic-Practice-R400145/dp/B001KZH2C8
- **I will be sending a copy of a page from this pad, which can be copied onto paper that won’t bleed, if you’d prefer not to purchase the pad.
- Speedball C-2 pen or comparable (Brause 2.0 or 2.5, or Tape 2.5 or Mitchell 1.5, if you prefer). My preference is Speedball
- Pelikan 4001 ink (any color) or Bister ink, or walnut ink (only these, please – can get through Paper & Ink Art or John Neal)
- Watercolor palette (prefer Prang), but other sets OK, or tube watercolor and palette
- Water pot, mixing brushes, paper towels
- Few sheets of tracing paper
- X-acto knife
- Glue stick
- C-thru ruler at least 12” long or any ruler
- Fine-line, LIGHT-colored marking pen (i.e. Micron) or colored pencil in contrasting color to your ink
- Tools to rule – your choice – C-thru ruler or (ONLY IF you have It) – Ames Lettering Guide and T-square. I will demonstrate lining paper, so you can purchase these tools afterward.
- A piece or two of better papers of your choice (Canson Ingres, Arches Text Wove, Arches hot press WC, Niddegen, Frankfurt, etc) – about10” x 12” pieces
Click on photo to visit biography page
Sequence: Journey of Experimental Calligraphy
The Unconventional Pointed Pen
Drawing the Fibonacci Sequence
Beginning Copperplate Script
A Letter and a Rectangle
Ben Shahn Lettering
(M) Handwritten: The Art of Tattoo Lettering
(M) Learning to Sketch Out Celtic Knots
(M) A Meditative Calligraphy Technique
(M) Learn to Sketchnote!
Loosening Up With Calligraphy & Paint
CAROL MEASURES SCOTT
(M) Captivating Color in Calligraphy
The Empty Space, Womb of Shape
ELMO VAN SLINGERLAND
Broad-edged pen: Roman Capitals
Colorful Lettering Composition
Akim Variations and Long Compositions